Etgar Keret, brilliant creator of collections like The Nimrod Flipout, is one of the greatest living practitioners of the dry, droll, and surreal black comic story.
Interestingly, when he gave Rookie his 10 rules for writing, though, they were quite joyful and optimistic:
- Make sure you enjoy writing.
- Love your characters.
- When you’re writing, you don’t owe anything to anyone.
- Always start from the middle.
- Try not to know how it ends.
- Don’t use anything just because “that’s how it always is.”
- Write like yourself.
- Make sure you’re all alone in the room when you write.
- Let people who like what you write encourage you.
- Hear what everyone has to say but don’t listen to anyone (except me).