In case you were curious about where to place your money when betting on which book is going to win this year’s Man Booker Prize, the gambling quants over at Ladbrokes have done the math and proclaimed that Jim Crace is going to win this time, for his novel, Harvest. Here’s the odds rundown for the six shortlisted novels:
- Jim Crace, Harvest — 11/8
- Eleanor Catton, The Luminaries — 11/4
- Colm Toibin, The Testament of Mary — 4/1
- Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being — 8/1
- Noviolet Bulawayo, We Need New Names — 9/1
- Jhumpa Lahiri, The Lowlands — 9/1
The announcement comes tomorrow.
UPDATE: Looks like the Ladbrokes lads were a tad off: the prize was won by Eleanor Catton’s 832-page epic The Luminaries. Which apparently she started writing when she was 25.