When you think of cities, there is no other place on Earth that better exemplifies what that word means than New York City. Incubator of pretty much every important cultural genre or trend, nerve center of world capitalism, melting pot of ethnicities and religions, New York City, as they say, has it all.
In my newest book, The Handy New York City Answer Book, on sale now from Visible Ink Press, you’ll get an all-in-one reference that covers everything from the city’s complicated and dramatic history to its geography, sports teams, many peculiarities and personalities, and just about all the trivia that could be packed into 464 pages.
Here’s a few of the things you’ll discover:
- How did New York invent Christmas?
- Where was baseball first played?
- How come police officers tried to scare tourists away from the city in 1975?
- Did punk begin in New York or London?
- How did the 1863 Draft Riots start?
- Did Rudy Giuliani actually save the city?