Still trying to figure out how to finish that first part of a six-part series of zombie CSI novels, or maybe you need time to work on your epic poem cycle about climate change? Working the job and paying rent can definitely take time away from time spent with your laptop or quill.
Well, worry no more, because there’s a new nonprofit organization called WriteAHouse that wants to give away houses in Detroit to writers. That’s correct: Free house to write in.
If approved, writers are expected to:
- commit to living and writing in the house for two years
- pay insurance and property tax
- finish renovating the house (it’ll be 80% inhabitable at time of moving in)
- regularly contribute to the WAH blog
- “participate in local readings and other cultural events”
Then, after two years, the writer is given the deed to the house. That’s pretty much it. Nice job thinking outside the box, Detroit.
(h/t: Ian Crouch)