If you’re ever stuck for something to read, somebody else’s reading lists can be a help. Eric Idle posts a continually updated one that’s pretty smashing on his website here.
An inveterate bookworm of the highest caliber, Idle has also compiled a few rules for reading:
- Rule 1: Never be without a book.
- Rule 2: Skip all Prefaces, Forewords and Introductions.
- Rule 3: If you’re bored with a book, chuck it. There are millions of books you will never get to read, so if one doesn’t grab you, put it down.
- Rule 4: You don’t have to finish a book. You can always come back to it.
- Rule 6: You may read several books at once.
- Rule 7: You may skip and skim. This is not a class, this is life.
- Rule 8: Try and buy from your local bookshop while you still have one.
- Rule 9: There is no rule 9.
- Rule 10: Enjoy!